Monday, July 27, 2015

Trade Deadline for the Shadow Padres

With the trade deadline looming, it seems like a good time to see if the Padres would be buyers or sellers. There have to be a million ways to figure this out, but for purposes of this exercise, I'm going to keep it simple.

I'm going to look at the WAR my team would have accumulated, and the WAR that the real Padres have accumulated. If I have more wins than they do, I'll add to their win total. If they have more, I'll subject.

That seems like a simply way to determine how many wins my team would have.

Players on both rosters

Players on my rosterPlayers on their roster
PlayerWarPlayerWarPlayerWar
Yonder Alonso0.7Yasmani Grandal1.8Clint Barmes0.9
Jed Gyroko0.0Jung Ho Kang2.5Matt Kemp0.5
Will Venable0.4Jed Lowrie0.8Craig Kimbrel0.0
Ian Kennedy0.1Nori Aoki1.7Will Middlebrooks-1
Cory Luebke-0.1Jace Peterson0.5Will Myers0.5
Tyson Ross0.2Everth Cabrera-0.8Derek Norris1.7
Andrew Cashner-0.2Cameron Maybin0.7James Shields0.1
Odrasmer Despagne-0.1Jake Fox0.0Justin Upton3.1
Joaquin Benoit0.0Jake Elmore-0.7Melvin Upton0.1
Dale Thayer0.0Seth Smith1.6Brett Wallace0.2
Shawn Kelley0.00.2
Austin Hedges0.1Sum8.1Sum6.1
Brandon Morrow-0.1
Josh Johnson0.0
Robbie Erlin-0.5
Casey Kelly0.0
Cory Spangenberg0.9

In short, I'm 2 wins better than the real life Padres, which means instead of 47 and 52, I'm 49 and 50; 5.5 games out of the wild card, but still with 4 teams in front of me. Basically, I'm not terrible enough to blow it up entirely, but it's also safe to say this won't be a playoff season for me.

If it were me, I'd open up negotiations with Ian Kennedy right now. If we can strike a deal that keeps him here for a few years, I'm 100% in favor. if not, I'm looking REALLY hard at whether or not he is worth a first round tender at the end of the season. At $16.5 million, he'd be my highest paid player, BY FAR, and I'm not sure I'm OK with that.

I'm also putting Will Venable, Shawn Kelley and Joaquin Benoit on the block. Venable will probably be traded in real life, and since h's a FA at the end of the season, I'm wishing him well (note: I really love Will Venable... for years, he's just seemed like a guy who knows how to play). I suspect Kelley won't bring back a ton. For Benoit, If someone wants a "proven closer," even one who's signed for another year, well, there's probably a deal to be made.

No comments:

Post a Comment