Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Sean Marshall and a Broken Strat

Sometimes as baseball fans, we get to see something strange.

Take, for example, this 2009 game in which relief pitch Sean Marshall came in to face a hitter, then went to the OF for a hitter, and then came back to get the next hitter.

This past year, I tried the same maneuver in a Strat-O-Matic game, and found that... well, I think I found a glitch.

Everything started off well. My left handed pitcher came in and got the first out (against a LH hitter). I then put him into the OF, bringing up a RH/RH matchup, which got the second out. Then, bringing the lefty pitcher back to the mound something weird happened. The Strat-O-Matic game decided he was tired*.

Later in the season, my team losing by a lot, my DH was hit by a pitch, and was going to miss the rest of the game. Rather than worrying about putting in a with any talent, I decided to sub in a pitcher to run (I was planning to roll him out to start the next inning anyway). When the next inning started, the pitcher who'd just pinch run was tired.

It got me thinking.

Does Strat-O-Matic baseball baby pitchers in ways that we hadn't considered? Does a hangnail place them on the DL? Is the long run from 1st to 2nd enough to tire them out?

More likely... did I discover a glitch in the programming (and would it have been the same if my strat league played by real rules National League rules?

I thought it was an interesting finding to share, and a possible oddity in Strat-O-Matic.

*For anyone who doesn't play Strat, tired pitchers don't do well. At all.

No comments:

Post a Comment