Sunday, June 2, 2019

2019 MLB Draft Big Board

Years ago, I made the decision to shadow draft as the Padres, so I'll keep that running. Having the 6th pick in the draft is... nice. But maybe a little confusing. Baseball America, D1 Baseball, and basically every other website covering the draft say there is a clear top 6 in the draft, but I'm only in on three of the 6... which means in this shadow round... I may draft a player at 6 that isn't expected, and then have a list of guys I'm trying to float to 48.

Here goes.

My top three (in order) are Adley Rutschman, Andrew Vaughn, and CJ Abrams.

If one of those three is there, I draft him, and move along happily. However, if they are all off the board, things get a little crazy. Logan Davidson, Bryson Stott, Alek Manoah, and Corbin Carroll are numbers 4-7 on my board. Drafting one of them means I'm going to do everything I can to float one of the following players:

  • Keoni Cavaco
  • Jack Leiter
  • Carter Young*

Here is the overall board (kind of).

HS
PlayerSchoolNotes
Adley RutschmanOregon StateTruly the best player in the draft
Andrew VaughnCalKeston Hiura part 2?
CJ AbramsHS in GARafael Furcal? Kenny Lofton? Maybe?
Logan DavidsonClemsonHealthy Jed Lowrie
Bryson StottUNLVElite SS with a bat? Yes please.
Alek ManoahWest VirginiaThe best (readily available) college arm in the draft
Corbin CarrollEveryone thinks he will hit

---break---

Cavaco (depending)

Leiter (depending)

Young (depending)

PlayerSchoolNotes
Michael MasseyIllinoisHe simply hits. Nothing more
Josh JungTexas TechI see a lot of Troy Glaus in his game
Kyle McCannGA TechI know this is a lazy comp, but this feels like a poor man's Kyle Schwarber
Andre Pallante UC Irvine Some folks see a reliever, but he's got a 4 pitch mix and I'm going to let him start until he proves he can't.
Michael Busch UNCAnyone who knows me gets why this is my pick)
Sebastian Keane Mass HS Ignoring Carter Young, he is my perfect 11th round pick
Jacob Wallace UCONN I think he is one of the top 3 relievers in this draft
Greame StinsonDukeSimilar to Wallace, but higher variation in floor and ceiling for me>
Andre Lipcius TennesseeComing into the year, I had this guy as a top 30 pick and a Nick Senzel comp.
Jake MangumMississippi StateSenior sign with a chance to be a Robbie Grossman clone
Anthony Pratto UCONN A littler guy with great OBP who's likely to play 2b
Logan DriscollGeorge MasonI'm a sucker for a lefty catcher, and even more so when they went to my alma mater.
Ryan Ward Bryant University >It isn't a draft if I'm not the high person on a Bryant draft pick
Jeff Belge St. Johns I was a fan coming out of HS, even shadow drafted him.

*An aside on Carter Young. As a 16 year old, playing on Team USA's U18 team, Young basically lived on the bases (a .429 OBP, which was among the team leaders, despite him being 2 year younger than most of his competition). He's struggled with mechanics and his swing, and to be fair, there is no player for whom "he should go to college" rings true. At Vandy, there's an excellent chance he rediscovers his swing, and ends up as a first round pick in 3 years. That said, I get "winner" vibes from him... and if I were running a major league team, he'd be VERY high on my target list this year. Irrational comp that has no backing: Switch Hitting Derek Jeter (no pressure Carter). I've talked in the past about making my 11th round pick be a guy I can dream on... This is that pick.

No comments:

Post a Comment