Friday, November 6, 2020

Three players the Celtics should consider for the veteran's minimum

I've found John Hollinger's series on The Athletic, which details his new projection system and offers insights into how much a free agent should, based on Hollinger's system, be paid next year. While some of John's conclusions caught me off guard (Jerami Grant as the biggest likely over-pay... the Syracuse homer in me was not impressed, John!), the series did make me recognize a few guys that could, theoretically be had for the veteran's minimum. If I were the Celtics, I'd be targeting the following role players for depth:
  • Noah Vonleh- Assuming the Celtics can cleaer out some of the log jam in the front court (Enes Kanter, Vincent Poirier), Vonleh's an interesting 5th big man. He's been good at one thing or another (rarely more than one thing at a time), and he seems like someone who might be OK in Brad Steven's system.
  • Glenn Robinson III- He's 6'7 and can shoot from 3... would a coach like Brad Stevens be able to turn him loose? If Gordon Hayward opts out (definitely possible), maybe this is a way they replace some of the offense they'd be losing.
  • Jaylen Adams- He's not a big guy, at 6'2, but he could be a decent enough combo guard off the bench. He shot nearly 40% from 3 point land in college, and maybe ther'es soemthing here. For the Celtics, finding a 4th guard (behind Walker, Smart and Brown) feels like an important thing (Wanamaker is a good player, but I'd prefer someone with a little more upside. Maybe that's Jaylen Adams.

Regarding two players I'm quite smitten with, Jeff Green came in as a suggested $3.2 million price, which seems logical (and I stand by my assertion that I'd give Green the full MLE if Hayward opts in). Shaq Harrison, my Hayward replacement if it comes to it, checks in at more than $8 million, though Hollinger labels it something that will surprise people. Jared Weiss wrote a piece discussing Harrison, as well. In the event of a Hayward departure, Harrison gets the first offer of my full MLE... and I hope like heck that he takes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment