Friday, July 14, 2023

Shadow Padres 2023 Draft Diary

After years of doing the diary (and picks) in real time, I've elected to switch things up and make picks after the draft is complete. I think the approach is to only draft players who were actually drafted (the idea being that if a team grabbed a player, they believe it is possible that the player will sign). Will this make it so I stop accruing extra picks (for not signing players)? I'm not sure, but it will make things a little smoother.

Year after year, I picked up guys who didn't sign. It's tough as a casual fan because of the obvious information asymmetry (teams clearly know more about whether a player will sign and how much he'll require than I do, since I'm nothing more than a random fan).

Anyway, here's the order of players I had coming into the draft, along with the detail of how things went:

My top targets

  • Rhett Lowder- Went 7th to Cin
  • Kyle Teel- Went 14 to Bos
  • Enrique Bradfield- Went 17 to Bal
  • Charlee Soto- ***Drafted with the 25th pick (in the real, he went 34th to Min)
  • Jacob Wilson- Went 6 to Oak
  • Tanner Witt Drafted with the 96th pick. In reality he went in the 18th round to Baltimore, and I'm guessing he won't sign... but Soto and Witt as a top 2, especially when I don't have a 2nd round pick to work with... is pretty great.
  • Matt Shaw- Went 16 to ChN
  • Alex Clemmey- Went 58th to Cle (This one hurt... the idea of a Soto/Clemmey combo to start the draft would have been amazing).
  • Sean Sullivan- Went 46th to Col
  • Travis Homeyman- Went 90 to Stl.
  • Cal Fisher- Skipping because he wasn't drafted
  • Luke Shliger- Drafted with the 128th pick in the draft (in reality he went 180 to SF)
  • William Privette- Draft with the 191st pick (in reality he went 381 to Tex)

Pitcher Interruption

  • Juaron Brown-Watts- Went 89 to Tor
  • Kiefer Lord- Went 86 to Bal
  • Kade Morris- Went 101 to NYM
  • Jason Savacool- Went 185 to Stl.

Back to the draft

  • Justin Riemer- Went 133 to Boston
  • MJ Seo- Skipped because he wasn't drafted
  • Cam Clayton- Skipped because he wasn't drafted
  • Andrew Walters- Went 62 to Cle
  • Cam Minacci- Went 174 to LAA
  • Jeron Williams- Picked with the 221st pick (in reality he went to HOU at 284)
  • Connor Burns- Went 141 to Cin
  • Christian Kapcyk- Went 161 to Cle
  • Jordan Smith- Picked with the 251st pick (in reality he wasn't drafted, but he's a GMU guy, so I'm OK with it)
  • Hiro Wyatt- Went 75th overall (I was SUPER low on him)

In the 11th round, I'm taking Grant Gray. I doubt he will sign, but it lets me get to know him (and puts him high on my list for 2026)

And here is the list of seniors I was keeping an eye on

  • David Smith- Picked with the 311th pick (in reality he went 410th to Detroit... I'm like having he and Compton both as a way to save a few bucks for Witt and/or Grant Gray
  • Drew ComptonPicked with the 281st pick (in reality he signed with Braves as an undrafted FA)
  • Jake Gustin- Picked with the 431st pick (in reality he went undrafted)

No comments:

Post a Comment