Friday, May 27, 2016

2016 MLB Draft Preview- the HSers on my draft board

Let me start this one by saying I don't have any intention of going HS player with my first pick. I'm hoping one of Ray, Senzel or Hudson makes it to me at the 8th pick.

That said, there is one HS guy for who I'd bend my rule here, and that's Riley Pint. A recent BA podcast discussed Pint, saying we have never before seen a HS pitcher that throws 100+ and has a plus changeup. He's unique, and possibly the most likely player in this draft to end up a hall of famer. As such, if he's there, and my 3 college guys are gone, I swallow hard and roll the dice.

At 24, there are two more HS guys I'm looking at:

  • Ian Anderson- The guy has electric stuff, and as a Northeast arm, there should be some bullets left in the tank.
  • Delvin Perez- The comparisons to Correa are unfair, but Perez is said to be an electric athlete with terrific defense and top end speed.

I'm assuming neither is there, but should something strange happen, I'll swing for the fences with either player.

Beginning in the second round, I start looking at Jesus Luzardo, if he is on the board. He's been called the "safest" HS pitcher (at least, that was before the his injury). Jeff Belge is in the discussion here too.

After the 3rd round, I'm considering Nick Quintana, the hard hitting 2b from Nevada (could he develop into what Senzel is today?), and I'm keeping an eye on Trevyne Carter, a 6'3 LHH CF from Tennessee with incredible athleticism.

There's absolutely a chance that a few more HS players make it onto my final big board, but for now, these are the guys I'm hoping to land. Being realistic, Pint, Anderson and Perez are unlikely to make it to my roster, but landing any (or all) or Luzardo, Belge, Quintana and Carter to supplement a strong college draft would be an amazing coup.

No comments:

Post a Comment