Thursday, June 2, 2016

Ten more players on my big board

In some years, I've ended up with a surplus of guys on my big board, and in some, I've run out of players within the first 3 rounds.

I think my first couple posts, which identify a dozen college players, and five high school players, should give me a good start. But in case I end up with a situation where I need to draft more players, here's a set of ten more players I'm thinking about.

This list isn't in any sort of order (that might come with a final, inclusive big board post... though I might need to highlight where specific players fall into the mix if that's the case... Or I might leave it as is, to create some flexibility). Here is my college list of additional prospects:

  • Garret Hampson- Hampson and Okey were two of my favorite players from the 2013 draft, and he barely missed my top 12 (in fact, it was a toss up between Hampson and Solak... the latter making it because of a stronger bat... though as we get closer... these two might swap spots).
  • Mike Shawaryn- This guy was a work horse for a bunch of years in college, and in his draft year, he seems to have run out of steam. Whether it is because of an injury (which seems likely) or fatigue, I'd be thrilled to land this guy, tell him to go home and rest up for spring training (no touching a baseball), and seeing what I have next year.
  • Keegan Thompson- Keegan Thompson is a SP at Auburn, who just missed a season with Tommy John surgery. He was also the ace of the 2012 Team USA under 18 team that brought home the gold medal (against Cuba, in the gold medal game, all he did was throw a complete game shut out with 12 Ks, seriously). It seems there should be a very real chance he goes back to college for his senior year, but maybe he can be talked into joining the pros. If so, I want it to be in my system.
  • Zack Brown- Here is a guy whose sinker has been compared to a bowling ball. He's been up and down as a college player, but he's a terrific pitcher and workhorse.
  • Clate Schmidt- Schmidt had been largely pedestrian this year, but his scouting report shows a guy who's won some big games, basically, by out-competing everyone he faces and pitching off a killer changeup. Here's the thing... coming out of HS, his scouting report was a guy with terrific stuff. He was diagnosed with cancer (the Red Sox did something really cool, drafting Schmidt and letting him talk to Jon Lester). Another year cancer free (which is awesome) and another year Chemo-Free (again, bigger than the game here, but an amazing story), I'm betting more of his strength comes back. Yes, he's a senior sign, but more importantly, he'l pitch in the majors, and be an amazing story.
  • Andrew Calica- He's an OBP machine who switch hits and plays strong CF defense. Sign me up.
  • Trey York- This senior sign from Eastern Tennessee is a 2b who has the following credits under his belt from this past year: More XBH than K's, a nearly equal K:BB ratio, double digit HR and SB, a 70% SB success rate. Sign me up, please.
  • Brian Dalbec- There is no way this guy makes it to me, but every time I hear his game and think about his game, I keep coming back to one name: Micah Owings
  • Mitchall Jordan- I don't know what to make of this guy. On the Cape... he was Greg Maddux. Seriously... just... just... just... ok. I don't know what changed, but I'm hoping my scouts and coaches do, since Jordan proved capable of dominating against guys his age.

Let me also tack on a couple more HS players.

  • Dylan Carson- Carson is a Cal State Fullerton commit. The switch hitting 1b has been comp'd to a very young Mark Teixeira, who was a terrific player for a long time (and still is). Snagging Carson would be a nice later round pick up.
  • Kobie Taylor- As far as HS players go, "Northeast athlete that's been recruited to Vanderbilt" falls very, VERY high on my list of types. Isan Diaz, Rhett Wiseman, and now Kobie Taylor. There's a good chance this is the guy I try to put on my roster, and then spend every dollar I've got from under slot deals on.

With a week left before the draft, my next couple posts will focus on putting some order into a big board, and then doing some comparisons on how players line up across the land (using public sources as a baseline). As with last year, I'm also planning to do a shadow draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment