Thursday, December 18, 2014

Shadow Padres Organizational Philosophy on Contracts

If you look at the entirety of MLB, you quickly come to realize that huge dollar contracts tend to end poorly. It isn't a certainty, but it seems to happen way more often than not.

I can't prove it, but I think a major portion of it stems from not having all the pertinent information on a player, and as such, I'm deciding that I will not give a player from outside the organization more than $10 million annually. In fact, to maintain maximum flexibility, I'm also saying no more than 4 years, and it is on a scale:

  • 1 year-$10 million max
  • 2 years-$9 million max (2 years, $18 million)
  • 3 years-$8 million max (3 years, $24 million)
  • 4 years-$7 million max (4 years, $28 million)

Since trading away Chase Headley last year, there is a gap at 3b on my new team. Based on the rules above, you can probably guess who my replacement is going to be.

In the coming days, I'll describe why I am passing on the Wil Myers deal (it isn't because he spells his name wrong), and of through my last few years of (shadow) draft info.

AJ Preller has been extremely aggressive thus far, which means that this new column is a few days late in getting off the ground (after all, it's easy to 2nd guess the Kemp and Myers moves). It's also going to make this a great thought-exercise... since he and I couldn't be more different.

No comments:

Post a Comment