Monday, July 12, 2021

2021 MLB Draft Diary Day 2

Coming into day 2, I'm feeling ok. Stovall and Abbott make for a nice start to the draft for me, even if neither of them was taken in the real world.

There are 13 players left on my board, and I'm hoping to get as many as possible... no need to shuffle the order.. let's just see how many of these guys slide to me.

  • Baez- Went 54 to Cardinals
  • Morisette- Went 52 to the Marlins
  • Mcdonough- Joins my franchise at pick 62!
  • Stephenson- Stephenson is the pick at 71
  • Steinmetz- Went 77 to Arizona
  • Hill- Went 44 to Rockies
  • Zavala- Went 38 to Rangers
  • Kopps- Joins my franchise at pick 99
  • Lonsway- Joins my franchise at pick 129
  • Bibee- Goes to Indians at 156
  • Kokx- joins my franchise at pick 160
  • Abel- Joins my franchise at pick 190
  • Ward- Joins my franchise at pick 220

10:29am PT- The Rangers are having themselves a draft with Leiter and Zavala.The Rockies just took Jaden Hill. This is the second year in a row Colorado and I agree on a pitcher (Sam Weatherly last year). In both cases, the landing slot is less than optimal, in my mind, due to the Coors effect.

10:32- Morisette goes to Miami. They're having a really good draft with Watson and Cody.

10:37- The Cardinals took Baez (they seem to share my love of NE HS Bats... and to be honest, between Mcgreevy and Baez, they're having an amazing draft so far (possibly my favorite).

10:47- Tyler McDonough is walking through the door (this is the second year in a row I've drafted him... excited to bring him in...again). Now looking out a few picks, and really hoping for Stevenson or Steinmetz to be there (given how the draft is going... part of me is hoping it's Steinmetz to make this a super balanced start with two pitchers and two hitters, one HS and one college for each category).

11:02- I just realized Stovall is still on the board, and I'm starting to worry that he might be headed to LSU. This would be the second year in a row that a high pick of mine went to college instead of being drafted (last year was Tanner Witt, Tyler McDonough, Colby Halter and Braiden Ward... yikes)

11:08- Stephenson is the pick. I'm loving the speed demon part of his game, and thrilled to add him into the system.

11:32- Steinmetz is off the board, heading to Arizona. Good pick for them, but now I'm starting to wish I'd added a couple more upside players here.

ll:35- Call the Kopps! Both in the shadow draft, and in real life (love when that happens).

12:01- My fears over Stovall not getting drafted are confirmed:

and, I'm starting to get this feeling/concern about Stephenson too.

12:11- Seth Lonsway is coming aboard. That's pretty exciting... now we just need to teach him where it's going.

Tanner Bibee goes off the board to Cleveland, who could turn him loose. That opens up the door for Kokx to be there for me at 160, and I see him as a tremendous sleeper. This could be OK.

12:34- Yep... Got my guy (Kokx).

Lonsway goes to the Giants, which is a pretty great landing spot for him. I think they do a great job developing pitchers.

1:12pm- Welcome aboard Kevin Abel. I know it's a long shot, but this is a big game pitcher (clutch?) I'm thrilled to add to the system, and someone I have super high hopes for over the long term.

1:15- I'm heading into the 7th round, looking to tack on Braiden Ward, and the calling it a draft (I'll let the real Padres handle the real draft). I need to figure out some way to deal with the guys who don't sign... since I seem to find 1 or 2 (or 4) of them every year.

1:28pm- Abel goes to the Reds at pick 210. Tough ballpark for him to thrive in, but I love their pitching approach.

1:36pm- Unrelated to my board, I think the Indians pick of Jack Leftwich is a really good one. They do great things with big arms... wouldn't surprise me is this ends up, in hindsight, being the steal of the draft.

1:37pm- Welcome aboard Braiden Ward.

This is almost a little weird, because it means I am out of big-board... the rest of the draft falls to the real-life Padres, which is cool, but it makes the draft a little liess interesting for me personally.

As always, it will be fund to see what happens with these players.

No comments:

Post a Comment