Saturday, July 6, 2024

2024 MLB Draft Big Board

Coming into the 2024 draft, I see four players as a clear top tier.
  • Chase Burns- I think he's got the best opportunity to be an ace level pitcher
  • Travis Bazzana- Chase Utley clone?
  • Braden Montgomery- Possibly the highest upside in the entire draft
  • Hagan Smith- I get Jon Lester vibes from him

It seems HIGHLY unlikely that any of those 4 makes it to my fake Padres team, but if one is available, I'm jumping for joy.

The next group of four is where I'm hoping to find a player (i.e. ideally one of these four makes it to me)

  • Trey Yeasavage- I'm coming around on the idea of guys with great control being able ti increase their veolcity, as opposed to high velocity guys learning where the ball is going.
  • James Tibbs- Terrific hitter who's done it against high level competition.
  • Seaver King- I get a RHH Ben Zobrist vibe here.

My next two are guys that I would lve to add as high upside flyers

  • Jurrangelo Cijntje- I have no idea what to make of this guy... I've seen him comp'd to Marcus Stroman (yes please) from both sides of the plate to who knows what.
  • Mike Mullinax- He's my CF of the future if I can get him

Back to the college ranks for a few.

  • Ryan Johnson- Possibly the best control in the draft (see the note above about Yeasavage and control)
  • Mike Sirota- He was expected to be a top 15 or so pick coming into the draft, but I'm still all-in (sort of... I originally had him about Cijntje and Mullinax, but given where the Padres pick (25 feels too high for Sirota), I'm dropping him with the idea he may be there in the 50s when my pick comes around again)
  • Peyton Stovall- This guy can hit.
  • Carter Holton- Quality LHP with great stuff. May end up in the bullpen, but I'll let him show me that's the case.
  • John Spikerman- I'm pretty smitten with him, but if I end up with Mullinax, I'd pass on Spikerman
  • Konnor Eaton- GMU Alumni (which I'm a sucker for) with good stuff.

My next HS flyer is

  • Perry Hargett- This guy can fly on the base paths, and has a chance to sitck as SS.

Next, I've got my eye on a couple of potential contact hitters (in truth... this group is sort of take it or leave it for me... but I din't want to run out of players to draft, whivh has been an issue in the past).

  • Austin Overn- He's another speedy guy (note, I pass on him if I've got Mullinax or Spikerman)
  • Jeremiah Jenkins- Kid out of Maine, and I love the NE players.
  • Jon Jon Gazdar- He's a likely 2b with plus feel for contact
  • Eddie Saldivar- I thought he would be a great hitter when he was at Long Beach State.

Next up, we're looking at a trio of seniors. These guy could move up the board (or down) depending on how the draft shakes out.

  • Tanner Witt- Coming our of HS, this guy was considered a comp to Kris Bryant as a hitter, with higher upside on the mound. I've drafted him twice already... and I just can't quit him.
  • Tyler Macgregor- Northeastern batter who's got good contact.
  • Izaak Martinez- LHRP who shoud move quickly.

And finally, my 11th round target:

  • Luca Ramirez- It's Manny's kid... I'm all in.

Identifying a perfect draft from the list above is REALLY hard. If it ends up being Sirota at 25, that feels a bit like a reach, but maybe there's a way to use the extra picks in the 4th to make up for that (this makes me wonder if I should have more HS players on the list).

As with last year, I'll be doing the draft diary after the draft is over (and removing anyone who wasn't drafted).

No comments:

Post a Comment