Wednesday, January 14, 2015

2014 draft tier 5

This is the second to last post in my 2014 draft series. ICYMI, here are the first, second, third and fourth articles in the series.

As I said previously, the goal is to mix and match throughout the draft, finding a combination of safe picks and lotto tickets, guys who will sign quickly an inexpensively, along with more expensive players.

Tier 5 is where I am looking to save some money, first by looking for college seniors, and then identifying college relievers. My perfect college senior in the draft was Jake Stinnett, who went in the 2nd round (probably mush earlier than I would have grabbed him, so I'll leave him off the board here.

  1. Jeff Gardner & Cole Sturgeon- Louisville teammates, I'm going to group them together as very similar players. Both left-handed hitters, both solid OBP, both pretty good defensively. I suspect neither ends up as a regular, although one of them could end up the bigger half of a platoon at the major league level. I see more of a 4th OF role for these guys, but I'd happily try to find out if there is more there with either one.
  2. Joey DeNatto- Never mind that he shut out Louisville in the college world series, DeNatto is simply a workhorse college pitcher who deserves to see if his game can transition. Quality starts are important to me, and as a senior, 14 out of his 16 starts made the cut.
  3. Dave Berg- He's a submarine pitcher who sits in the 80's with his fastball. So was Chad Bradford, and he deserved his own chapter in Moneyball. Sign me up.
  4. John Dezse- In 2012, as a sophomore, Dezse started 58 games, got on base more than 40% of the time as a hitter, and earned 7 saves. He missed 2013 with a back problem, and 2014 was a rougher season (hitting numbers down, and no pitching), presumably in part because of the back surgery he had in 2013. That said, I can't help but think of Micah Owings every time I hear his name (or every time I bring his name up, since he's pretty darn obscure). In the national league, a guy who can both not embarrass himself as a pinch hitter and can occasionally take a turn in the mound is worth his weight in gold. I'm adding Dezse, and seeing what is left.
  5. Hassan Evans- He was a pitching prospect who ended the year in the outfield. Somewhere along the way, I read an Edwin Jackson comp on Evans, and it has always stuck with me. Jackson never became a stud, but he had a few seasons as a quality starter.
  6. Ian Tompkins- A left handed closer from Western Kentucky. In 17 innings on the Cape, he K'd 27 (and walked 11). I see Alan Embree here.

No comments:

Post a Comment