Monday, January 5, 2015

My Fictional HOF vote

I'm not a member of the BBWA, but if it ever happens, here is the list I'd be sending in as my ballot this year:
  • Pedro Martinez- Pedro gets spots on my all time favorite, all time greatest I've ever seen, and all time dude I'd like to grab a drink with lists. Oh yeah: Jonah Keri called him a "rich man's Sandy Koufax." We good? Cool.
  • Randy Johnson- I mentioned on Twittter that Jonah Keri's article about the Big a unit is amazing. And Johnson makes 2 of the 3 lists above. He is in
  • Barry Bonds- He knocked off the Bambino (whether through cheating or not), and oh yeah, he may have been the best player of an era before he cheated. He is in.
  • Roger Clemens- As a Red Sox fan, I appreciate the 20k game, think he left on crummy terms, and then became a scum bag. Good news... Lots of talented scum bags are in the hall. Welcome aboard. Hope you trip walking up to give your speech, and pray you "misremember" something.
  • Tim Raines- Raines is a hall of famer. "Ricky was better" is a terrible answer to keep him out. Raines also has an argument for best LF I ever saw live... Though I suspect Manny Ramirez has a word or three to share with me over it.
  • John Smoltz- 150 wins, 150 saves, and a truly unique career. Welcome here Mr. Smoltz.
  • Jeff Bagwell- the peak is phenomenal, and the career numbers hold up. He won lots of people fantasy baseball titles, and will always be the cautionary tale of trading away prospects (I almost think Larry Anderson deserves a plaque underneath Bagwell's, just because).
  • Mike Piazza- I know there is an Internet troll who said Piazza's back was ugly. However, the guy might be the greatest offensive catcher of all time, and Roger Clemens once threw a bat at him. I hope they give back to back speeches, just so we can see the, exchange pleasantries.
  • Curt Schilling- the bloody sock, a postseason record that is such an outlier that it makes saber folks question the existence of clutch, and a K:BB that is simply freaky. He is in for me
  • Craig Biggio- this one is tough. It means that Edgar Martinez and Nomar Garciaparra (all time fav, all time best I ever saw lists for me) miss the cut. However, his uniqueness holds up (Catcher, 2b, CF) along with the stats

No comments:

Post a Comment