Wednesday, January 7, 2015

2014 draft tier 1

As promised, here is my breakdown of my top tier for the 2014 draft:
  1. Trea Turner*- here is what we knew about Turner going into the season- he is likely to end up at SS (a premium position), but if that doesn't work, he has the arm strength to play 3b. He is going to get on base (he always has). He is going to fly around the bases (30+SBs with a high success rate). Even if those numbers are at 3b (which obviously means we need to find power from other sources), this is an elite lead off hitter, and there are few of those around.
  2. Carlos Rodon- everything you need to know in one sentence: he could be David Price. Yes, he seemed to have a dead arm period and lost velocity. Also, if you want to hit pick, he throws too many sliders, making TJ surgery more likely (I don't know if this is proven entirely, but on an anecdotal level, it seems to be correct)
  3. Kyle Schwarber- I know that I'm posting this months after the draft so it is easy to call me a Johnny come lately on this one. However, 30HR players that seem to have a .380 OBP upside don't grow on trees. At the time I created this list, I was fairly sure Schwaeber would fall to the middle of the first round. So was basically every draft guru.
  4. Jeff Hoffman- as I said previously, guys who play against their top peers and do well tend to score very highly for me, and Hoffman's stint in the Cape Cod league qualifies.
  5. Michael Chavis- everywhere you look, he was referred to as the best hitter in the high school ranks.
*Earlier in the GM thought experiment (more coming on that soon), I said I wouldn't have dealt Turner in the Wil Myers deal. It's because I think Turner was the best player available in the 2014 draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment