Thursday, January 8, 2015

2014 draft tier 2

Continuing the draft tier set of posts I started previously (part 1 can be found here), here is the second tier of my 2014 MLB draft board:
  1. Brandon Finnegan- For starters, the comp I saw thrown around on Finnegan most often is that of Scott Kazmir, who has a spot on my all time favorite list (I've referenced it a few ti and promise to post it soon). High K lefties don't grow on trees, and at the time of the draft, I thought his downside would be power reliever (I know how much is sounds like I am calling this in hindsight).
  2. Luke Weaver- Guys with a power sinker are always welcome.
  3. Derek Fisher- in my Tiers Preview, I mentioned that sometimes, a player will fall because his numbers are down based on a very logical, very fixable issue. Fisher, widely considered a top 10 or top 15 prospect heading into the year, broke his hamate, and struggled with power numbers. Of COURSE he struggled with power numbers, the guy had a broken bone in his hand. Every player who has broken his hamate has struggled with power until around a year after the injury has healed (Big Papi is one of dozens of examples). If Fisher fell to me in the draft, I'm as happy as can be.
  4. Nick Howard- make no mistake, I'm generally not in favor of grabbing college relievers early, but Howard is very interesting for a couple reasons. First, he has the arsenal to start. Second, since he was a reliever, there are presumably more bullets left in that arm. IN my mind, a guy who's been brought along throughout the college ranks as a reliever first (ideally a long reliever), may stay more healthy as he builds to a bigger workload, assuming his coach isn't a lunatic.
  5. Isan Diaz- his scouting report essentially says he is a lefty hitting 2b with great bat control, fantastic defense, and the chance to be very good. I can't prove this, but I think that HS guys from the northeast maybe undervalued in general, since scouts may not get to see them as much. So, Diaz is in my second tier.
  6. Michael Gettys-if all of the players above, who I think are much safer bets to make the majors, are gone, then it is time to swing for the fences. Think of Gettys as my "what the heck, I've been dealt hands I didn't love all night, let's go all in" option. Almost every scouting report said this guy might have the best tools in the draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment