Monday, June 8, 2015

Actual Draft Diary

This is the big board in action, done diary-style:
  • Pick 1.1- Swanson- Makes sense. I like the pick.
  • Pick 1.2- Bregman- As I said, I'm feeling good to not be the guy who ended up with Bregman
  • Pick 1.9- Happ- Totally a Theo pick. Grrrr... I knew he wouldn't make it to 13. This is like in fantasy baseball when you hvae the one guy who always managed to grab your player about 2 picks earlier than you.
  • Pick 1.13-Daz Cameron is on the board!!!!! My best player available in the draft made it. Sweet!

With Cameron falling to me, there is a chance I'm going to lean away from Aiello. I already have a high upside HS player out of this one, and I really like to balance things out. Right now, the perfect situation for me is something like Funkhouser or Kapriellian available at 41, Aiello falling to 51, and then a Garza/LeMoine/Wiseman trio in the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds.

That would give me 2 high upside HS position players, a college OF, and three college pitchers. Fingers crossed at this point.

  • Pick 1.16- There are no words to describe how much I hate that Kap. is going to the Yankees. Just... ugh.
  • Pick 1.17- Well, we knew Aiken wouldn't last too long, and as expected, he didn't make it to a point where I was happy to go after him.
  • Pick 1.18- Man, Brian Sabean is one of the smartest GM's available. In my fantasy league (it's a keeper league), Phil Bickford just became a target for me.

Around Pick 20, I'm starting to wonder if Daz's $ request is off the charts. I'm not alone:

Will report back if we hear something

  • Pick 22- The Tigers didn't pick Cameron.. Given they're usual comfort with Scott Boras, I'm starting to feel like Daz Cameron will end up being an extra first round pick next year....
  • Pick 24- Sad to see Buehler go off the board. At this point, I was starting to think (hope against home?) he'd be there at 41.
  • Pick 31- Of course Brian Sabean picked up Shaw. Of course he did. Shaw and Bickford in the first round make it feel an awful lot like the Giants are going to have amazing letter grades when this is over and the pundits speak. Oh yeah, they're also going to have a new 1b of the future and a quality number 3 pitcher. In fact, I'd rather have the Giants draft going than the Astros draft (hashtag "early over reaction").
  • Pick 33- Nolan Watson just went off the board, and now I'm 8 picks away from a really good situation for my draft... Fingers still crossed.
  • At pick 35, I was walking around and singing (under my breath) "We Want the Funk, Gotta have the Funk." A little while ago, Brian Sabean was having the best possible draft... now, well, Andrew Friedman is (metaphorically) tapping me on the shoulder, point out that he landed 2 of my top 6 players, and I'm realizing that in picking the Padres, I have run into a buzzsaw of super smart GMs.

Pick 36 just went off the board, and now it's looking like, assuming nothing crazy, I'll end up with Daz Cameron and John Aiello as my first two picks. It's nothing if not high upside. It's problematic, especially given how unlikely it looks for Cameron to sign. I'm going to double down on Aiello, assuming he is there, with the hope I can sign one of these guys (would prefer both), and tomorrow's board will have to change to incorporate a few more safe bets and college guys.

Daz Cameron! Pick 37! Is there a deal in place? Does this mean he's going to sign? What just happened?

Pick 41 means I am ending up with Aiello. I mentioned it above as a scenario I wasn't hoping to have happen, but I'm going to stick to my board, and go with best player available.

Given how things are going, it feels like time to put together a more rounded approach to this draft, and I feel like I need to diversify my risk portfolio. If he is there at 51, I'm going to take Riley Ferrell, and then start fresh tomorrow with a revision to the draft board.

11:15- Ferrell is there, and it seems to make sense to end up with one guy who feel like a sure fire major leaguer at this point. I'm hoping he can provide a few solid seasons as a set up guy of closer. Real Padres select Austin Smith

  • Pick 55- Cody once went off the board, and as we're closing in on the 3rd round, I'm feeling oddly OK without a case of buyer's remorse over grabbing the first reliever taken in the draft.
  • Pick 65 came and went, and as of now, there needs to be some reordering on the big board, but I have 2 guys who have star potential, and a reliever, all in the first 75 picks in the draft.

Here are the actual results from my picks:

  • Pick 13- Daz Cameron
  • Pick 41- John Aiello
  • Pick 51- Riley Ferrell
  • Pick 87-

As a reminder, here is my big board.

  • Daz Cameron-Pick 13
  • Alex Bregman-
  • Dansby Swanson-
  • Walker Buehler-
  • Ian Happ-
  • Kyle Funkhouser-
  • James Kapriellian-
  • Chris Shaw-
  • John Aiello-Pick 41
  • Justin Garza
  • Jake Lemoine
  • Rhett Wiseman
  • Elih Marrero
  • Joe DeMers
  • David Berg
  • Riley Thompson
  • Kyle Molnar
  • Riley Ferrell Pick 51
  • Chandler Day
  • Benton Moss
  • Sutton Whiting
  • Garret Cleavinger
  • Ty Moore
  • Brady Aiken-
***There may be an edit or 2 after draft day 1 is over. It's to clean up speeling and grammer errors.

No comments:

Post a Comment