Tuesday, June 16, 2015

The All Time Favorite Team- Starting Catcher

I've been meaning to turn the "My Favorite Team" thing into a full blown series, and decided to start today.

Some of these guys are on this team irrationally. This isn't the "best I've ever seen" at any particular position, but more along the lines of "guys I'd irrationally draft a round or 2 early" in fantasy baseball, or guys who I somehow ended up really liked to watch, or even guys who I randomly hit well with in various baseball video games.

I'm also going to make a point of filling out the bench with bench players (my close 2nd in a lot of spots, like Catcher, wouldn't be OK with being on the bench).

Without further ado, the starting catcher on my all time favorite tea is: Jason Kendall-

First and foremost, Kendall was a gamer. For basically a dozen years (1997-2009), this guy had more than 500 PA's (to be fair, he missed the milestone one season in that 12 year period, with a broken ankle... considering the guy never had under 471 PA's.. it seems safe to say he'd have hit the mark). For reference, Jorge Posada and Jason Varitek each passed that number 7 times, and Pudge Rodgiruez was even (11 times).

Kendall was unique, earnings double digits SB's 9 times in his career (including as a 36 year old).

Kendall got on base too, putting up a .370 OBP or better 7 times, and ending his career with more BB's than K's.(721 BB's to 686 K's).

Those are numbers any position player strives to hit, and Kendall did it while catching.

That's absurd.

On the All-time, All-Mike team, Jason Kendall is my catcher, and my number 2 hitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment