Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Draft Day Diary- Day 2

The big board for day 2 is updated. I have a bunch of picks today (just like everyone else). Today's goal will be to attempt to round out this draft class with a mix of college and HS.

The first, and perhaps most interesting question of the day is whether, if he's available, Michael Matuella being available at 87 changes the calculus for me. I don't think so. I do like Wiseman better than Matuella. However, if Matuella was there at 117, I'd probably have to pounce... And alternatively... if Wiseman is gone... I think Matuella would be a late addition to the second spot on my draft board. In the 3rd round, if he doesn't sign, I get a compensation pick next year... there's no such luck in the 4th. Yup... just talked myself into it.

Here is the revised big board:

  • Rhett Wiseman
  • Michael Matuella
  • Jake Lemoine
  • Justin Garza
  • Elih Marrero
  • Joe DeMers
  • David Berg
  • Riley Thompson
  • Kyle Molnar
  • Chandler Day
  • Benton Moss
  • Sutton Whiting
  • Garret Cleavinger
  • Ty Moore

1pm And here is a wide range of stream of conscience thinking:

  • Looks like my fretting over Matuella was for nothing, as the Rangers picked him before I had the chance.
  • Nice to see Riley Ferrell come off the board at 79 to Houston, so my pick of him yesterday doesn't look like a huge stretch.
  • 87th- Rhett Wiseman The real Padres took Jacob Nix, which makes sense to go after the boom/bust potential given that they didin't have nearly as many picks as my shadow team. Me? I'm thrilled to pieces to add Wiseman. Now, it's time to go find some pitching.
  • Pick 102- Wow, the Orioles jumped up and took Cleavinger. I figured he'd be around about 3 rounds later. Dan Duquette. Nice pick.
  • Pick 103- Wiseman went 103rd, so my pick wasn't as much of a reach as I thought it would be. That's encouraging.
  • Pick 108- The Rangers may have identified the newest market inefficiency. Injured Pitchers. Can't believe they took Lemoine
  • 117th Justin Garza, come on down!
  • Pick 134, I'm glad to see Rivera Jr ended up somewhere besides the Yankees. Would have been an impossible legacy to live up to. Also... happy to no longer see a "Rivera" closing games at Yankee Stadium.. That guy tormented the Red Sox for years.
  • 147th- Elih Marrero, Come on Down!

In previous years, I've done shadow drafts, and they seem to come off the rails right around here. There is SO much info I (or really, anyone who doesn't work for a team) don't have with regards to signability. The way things look, I'm probably going to snag a HS pitcher or 2 in the next couple rounds. Given where the picks are falling, I'm guessing they go off to school... and there's no way I can know that in advance.

  • Pick 169 just happened and it's now looking like there is a good chance Demers falls to me. Kind of excited about that, but also feeling like this is becoming a very HS heavy draft for me. When I put the board together, I assumed at least a coupel of these guys would be gone before I got around to picking them... now it looks very realistic that I end up with 5 or 6 HS picks in the first 10 rounds, which wasn't really the plan coming in.
  • Pick 173- And there goes another one to Theo. Dave Berg will be a major leaguer.
  • 177th Joe Demers- Come on Down!
  • Pick 178- Benton Moss goes off the board, and suddenly, I'm looking at a VERY HS heavy draft.
  • 207th- Riley Thompson, Come on Down!
  • Pick 228- I am SO disappointed in myself for leaving Colin Welmon off my big board. He was in an earlier version, and somewhere along the way, just fell off. Ugh
  • 237th- Kyle Molnar, Come on Down!
  • Pick 244- Garza finally comes off the board.
  • Pick 261- Tucker Tubbs is a fantastic name.
  • 267th I'm going off the board here, given that my last 3 picks were HS Pitchers. I'm going to grab Ty Moore.
  • 297th- I'm going to stay off script with this pick, and nab Sutton Whiting.

Lots more thoughts to come in the next couple days, but based on the number of HS players I drafted who aren't drafted in the real world, either this draft is going to end up being a big mess, or I will set the record for "most guys drafted in a shadow draft who get picked in the 11th round in real life" ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment