Monday, June 15, 2015

Draft Postportem

Let's breakdown of players I'm (potentially) adding to my system:
PlayerMy pickReal life spot pickedReal life teamNotes
Daz Cameron1.131.37HoustonCameron looks like a bonus baby, but one that will sign
John Aiello1.41Not DraftedNA

This has me frustrated. I was figuring someone would draft him... I was wrong

Riley Ferrell2.513.79Houston

As I said when I picked him, it was a bit of a reach. That said, this guy seems to ensure I get a major leaguer out of the draft.

Rhett Wiseman3.873.103Was

This pick made me happy. He wouldn't have been there had I waited another round, and I think he's got 20/20 potential

Justin Garza4.1178.244Cleveland

It is nice that he got picked in the first 10 rounds, and Cleveland has had some success with pitchers like Garza (Hello Trevor Bauer). I'm cautiously optimistic that my reach and the idea that Cleveland knows what they're doign will have lots of people saying "how did he last so long?"

Elih Marrero5.14729.865Cin

Pretty good chance this guy doesn't sign. It is going to be a rough drafted for me.

Joe DeMers6.177Not pickedNA

Another wasted early pick for me. Like I said early in the process... not having access to the same info as "those who know things" makes this a really tough exercise

Riley Thompson7.2071,105Cin

As a team picking in Ohio, I love that the Reds took this guy late in a "boy, we have nothing to lose" sort of way....I can't imagine he signs

Kyle Molnar8.237761Stl

I can't imagine there is a chance he signs, but at least a well respected GM and franchise took the stab.

Sutton Whiting9.267713CHN

As I said a few times in my diary, the Cubs picked up a bunch of players I was excited about. Perhaps this is a good luck thing?

Ty Moore10.297867SD

A real life Padres' player!!!! We agreed on one!!!

Chandler Day11.327904Cle

Like I said about the Reds' pick of Chandler Day, I like that Cleveland drafted an Ohio guy... it's a pipedream, but perhaps one that could end up working out

Cole Irvin12.357967Pit

I can't imagine he ends up signing... seems like a chance he ends up as a senior next year

Nick Madrigal13.387514Cle

Someone to dream on.

David Lucroy14.417601Mil

Jonathan's little brother, and a guy who had ups and downs... I suspect he might end up the last man in the bullpen. And at this spot in the draft, that's worth it's weight in gold.

Luke Willis15.447909KC

I'm happy to see him drafted. He is a guy I'm going to root for, based on sharing an alma mater.

If we're being realistic, there is a TON of upside here, but a lot of these guys, based on where they were picked, seem likely to head off to college. I suspect that victory ends up looking like:
  • Cameron
  • Ferrell
  • Wiseman
  • Garza
  • Whiting
  • Moore
  • Lucroy
  • Willis
It is a high upside HS player (Cameron), a RHSP and RHRP who could be helpful at the major league level (Garza and Ferrell), two college outfielders with potential (Wiseman and Moore), a defensive SS who can make life easier for my minor league pitchers and may one day be an OK backup (Whiting), a longshot OF and RHSP (Lucroy and Willis).

And if all goes well, I can get one or 2 of the HS players to sign. Aiello and Demers are off the table (actually, they're now the top of my 2018 big board). However;

One of Riley Thompson, Elih Marrero, Kyle Molnar or Chandler Day make this draft FAR more interesting... so here's hoping one of them signs.

Cole Irvin is a complete X factor. He only moves the draft a bit either way in terms of how strong the class is, but as a guy who could reasonably have an Alan Embree-like career... he can improve the class.

Nick Madrigal has a great name.

Luke Willis will be a guy I root for throughout his career.

No comments:

Post a Comment